John Kirkwood published this video item, entitled “Whole Wheat Seeded Farmhouse Loaf” – below is their description.
How to make a stunning 50% Whole Wheat Seeded Farmhouse Loaf, simple step by step instructions from start to finish.John Kirkwood YouTube Channel
Got a comment? Leave your thoughts in the comments section, below. Please note comments are moderated before publication.
- 325g / 11½oz Strong white bread flour
- 325g / 11½oz Whole wheat flour
- 480g / mls Lukewarm water approx: 40°C / 104°F
- 1tsp /6g Sugar
- 7g / 2tsp Instant or active dried yeast – or if you are using fresh yeast 25g
- 22g / 1½tbls Vegetable or Olive oil
- 8g / 1tsp Salt
- 100g / 3½oz Mixed seeds
- 45g / 1½oz Mixed seeds for the topping
- Seeds used: Sesame, Pumpkin, Sunflower, Flax, Poppy, Pine nuts
- Start the recipe by mixing the water sugar and yeast in a jug, and allow to activate for 10 minutes.
- Once activated begin by adding all of the ingredients (except the 45g of topping seeds) to a bowl and mix them together into a shaggy sticky dough.
- Cover the bowl and allow the dough to prove/rise for 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes, turn the dough out onto a slightly wet worktop, turn the dough or knock it back for 30 seconds, the dough should now appear smoother, put it back into the bowl, cover and set your timer for 30 minutes.
- Prepare an 8in / 20cm wok or similar vessel by greasing with butter and vegetable oil, cover the surface of the wok with the mixed seeds so they stick to the whole surface of the wok.
- After the second rise of the dough repeat the process of turning it out and knocking it back for a further 30 seconds, form the dough into a ball shape and slightly wet the top surface, pick up the dough and place it in the wok wet-side down on top of the seeds, sprinkle a little flour over the dough and cover with a dry lightweight cloth, and set your timer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven at the same time to 230°C / 445°F / Gas mark 8, and place your dutch oven in the main oven, as it needs to be heated up for 30 minutes to reach the correct cooking temperature to bake this bread.
- After the 30 minutes carefully take the very hot dutch oven out of the main oven, and place it on the hob, remove the lid, and tip the now risen dough from the wok into the dutch oven, give the dutch oven a quick swirl to centralise the dough, replace the lid and get it back into the hot oven for 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes, carefully remove the lid and bake for a further 5 to 6 minutes with the lid off, this will make the bread a little crustier.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the main oven, carefully tip out the loaf of bread, and place it on a wire rack to cool for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Slice and serve with butter. Enjoy.