Another slew of UEFA Euro 2012 fixtures are scheduled to take place on the evening of Tuesday 6th September 2011, as 46 nations look to get three points closer to the tournament, which takes place in Poland and Ukraine in the summer of 2012.
Of particular interest are the matches between England and Wales, at Wembley, and Denmark v Norway for their near-neighbour rivalries, though there are also a number of difficult-to-predict matches featuring some of the bigger footballing nations.
Matches like Russia v Republic of Ireland and Finland v Netherlands catch the eye, as does the game between Austria and Turkey.
Russia v Ireland is important in the context of the ultra-competitive Group B, for Russia lead the Irish by just two points. A win in this would see a little daylight between them and the chasing pack. If Ireland can pick up a result, though, there’ll be little between them, Russia and Slovakia – who have a home match against Armenia tonight. Slovakia begin the evening level on points with Ireland, so will be hoping for a win plus the Russians being held to at least a point. However, don’t discount Armenia, for they are just three points behind Ireland and Slovakia – they could upset the apple-cart tonight, too, in an enthralling couple of fixtures.
Romania v France is another interesting encounter, where we will see just how well France has recovered from it’s disastrous 2010 World Cup. France is looking to extend their lead at the top of a tricky Group D: they are currently three points ahead of Bosnia-Hercegovina who are, in turn, just one point ahead of Belarus – whom they face at home this evening – meaning that if France can record a win tonight, they’ll doubtless pull away from one – or both – of those two.
In Group G, an England win over neighbouring Wales would see them all but assured of qualification, for they lead the group by three points from Montenegro with just two matches remaining – including tonight.
Leave your comments, and match score predictions, in the box provided below. Full fixture details for the evening of Tuesday 6th September 2011 follow:
UEFA Euro 2012 Qualification – Fixtures, Tuesday 6 September 2011
- Azerbaijan v Kazakhstan – Group A – Kick-Off (CET) 17:00
- Russia v Rep of Ireland – Group B – Kick-Off (CET) 17:00
- Finland v Netherlands – Group E – Kick-Off (CET) 19:00
- Moldova v Hungary – Group E – Kick-Off (CET) 19:45
- Croatia v Israel – Group F – Kick-Off (CET) 20:00
- Macedonia v Andorra – Group B – Kick-Off (CET) 20:00
- Bosnia-Hercegovina v Belarus – Group D – Kick-Off (CET) 20:15
- Denmark v Norway – Group H – Kick-Off (CET) 20:15
- Luxembourg v Albania – Group D – Kick-Off (CET) 20:15
- Slovakia v Armenia – Group B – Kick-Off (CET) 20:15
- Austria v Turkey – Group A – Kick-Off (CET) 20:30
- Estonia v Northern Ireland – Group C – Kick-Off (CET) 20:30
- Latvia v Greece – Group F – Kick-Off (CET) 20:30
- Malta v Georgia – Group F – Kick-Off (CET) 20:30
- Romania v France – Group D – Kick-Off (CET) 20:30
- San Marino v Sweden – Group E – Kick-Off (CET) 20:30
- Serbia v Faroe Islands – Group C – Kick-Off (CET) 20:30
- Switzerland v Bulgaria – Group G – Kick-Off (CET) 20:30
- England v Wales – Group G – Kick-Off (CET) 20:45
- Iceland v Cyprus – Group H – Kick-Off (CET) 20:45
- Italy v Slovenia – Group C – Kick-Off (CET) 20:45
- Scotland v Lithuania – Group I – Kick-Off (CET) 21:00
- Spain v Liechtenstein – Group I – Kick-Off (CET) 22:00