Federer won the match 7-6 (7-5) 6-3 – taking his record against the Swede to an impressive 15-1.
Soderling will have to await the result of tonight’s match between Andy Murray and David Ferrer. If Murray wins at least a set, the Brit will progress in second place.
Federer wins Group B without dropping a set, and he looks set to play Djokovic or Berdych in the semi-final on Saturday, as Rafa Nadal looks likely to win Group A. The signs are that the final everyone expected – Nadal v Federer – is still by far the most likely to occur, unless Murray or perhaps Berdych can raise their level for two or three matches.
ATP World Tour Finals 2010 – How Things Stand
Below are the standings following the Federer v Soderling result – at 16:00 GMT on 25 November 2010. The top two players from each Round Robin Group qualify for the Semi-Finals.
- Rafael Nadal ESP (1) (Record 2-0)
- Novak Djokovic SER (3) (Record 1-1)
- Tomas Berdych CZE (6) (Record 1-1)
- Andy Roddick USA (8) (Record 0-2)
- Roger Federer SUI (2) (Record 3-0)
- Andy Murray GBR (5) (Record 1-1)
- Robin Soderling SWE (4) (Record 1-2)
- David Ferrer ESP (7) (Record 0-2)