The Welsh management opted to make three changes to the side which overcame Scotland at the Millennium Stadium a fortnight ago, with the most notable change the return of captain Sam Warburton at 7.
The experienced lock, Alun Wyn Jones returns to the Wales side, too, following his recovery from a toe injury. Wales looked a little rusty in this position against the Scots, particularly in the first half, so it is expected that this experienced head will make a telling difference against England. This will be the 60th cap for the second row forward.
Ryan Jones, who captained last week, moves to the replacement bench to make way for Alun Wyn Jones, while Andy Powell drops out of the squad owing to the return of Warburton to fitness.
Scarlets hooker, Ken Owens, will make his first start for the Welsh, as he replaces the injured Huw Bennett.
All three changes to the starting XV take place, therefore, in the front eight: the Wales backline remains unaltered from that which caused Scotland plenty of problems. George North has recovered form the ankle injury which forced him out of that match, too.
Wales Head Coach, Warren Gartland, said of his selection:
“A fit again Alun Wyn Jones is selected based on his Rugby World Cup form and his experience as an international lock,”
“He gave us a selection dilemma but it has been a great problem to have and, whilst Ryan Jones is particularly unlucky to miss out on this occasion, this is just that kind of competition for places we have been striving for.”
“Ken Owens has been waiting patiently for his chance and whilst injuries elsewhere have meant he gets his opportunity this weekend we are expecting him to take it.”
Wales Starting XV to Face England in RBS 6 Nations 2012
- 15 Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues)
- 14 Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues)
- 13 Jonathan Davies (Scarlets)
- 12 Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues)
- 11 George North (Scarlets)
- 10 Rhys Priestland(Scarlets)
- 9 Mike Phillips (Bayonne)
- 1 Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues)
- 2 Ken Owens (Scarlets)
- 3 Adam Jones (Ospreys)
- 4 Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
- 5 Ian Evans (Ospreys)
- 6 Dan Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons)
- 7 Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, Capt)
- 8 Toby Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons)
- 16 Richard Hibbard (Ospreys)
- 17 Paul James (Ospreys)
- 18 Ryan Jones (Ospreys)
- 19 Justin Tipuric (Ospreys)
- 20 Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues)
21 James Hook (Perpignan)
- 21 Stephen Jones (Scarlets)
- 22 Scott Williams (Scarlets)
England v Wales takes place at Twickenham Stadium, London, England, on the evening of Saturday 25th February 2012. Kick-off is 16:00 GMT (17:00 CET).