Scotland coach Andy Robinson has named his starting XV for the Scotland v England RBS 6 Nations 2012 clash which takes place at Murrayfield on the evening of Saturday 4th February 2012.
There will be one new cap and two newcomers to the 6 Nations format in an otherwise experienced looking Scotland side.
Winger, Lee Jones, 23, of Edinburgh will be making his first ever start for the Scots, along with back-row club-mates David Denton and Ross Rennie, both of whom will be enjoying an RBS 6 Nations starting berth for the first time.
More than six of the starting XV have had in excess of 50 caps, though, as Robinson looks to stack out his tough defensive team with a wealth of experienced players, across both forwards and backs.
The Scottish front row is particularly battle-tested, as the three big men Jacobsen, Ford and Murray have a whopping 154 caps between them.
Hooker Ross Ford will captain Scotland.
Scotland will have to overcome the loss of the long-time talismanic and metronomic kicker, Chris Paterson, but his retirement from the international game is certainly mitigated by the presence of an experienced and gifted kicked, Dan Parks, who remains at ten.
Robinson has made a total of eight changes to the starting XV which narrowly lost to England in the Rugby World Cup 2011, five of which were selections. On announcing the team, he told:
“Form has played a part in selection. Edinburgh’s qualification for the Heineken Cup quarter-finals and Glasgow’s performances in the RaboDirect PRO12 mean that competition for places has intensified, particularly in the back-row.”
“But, as ever, we select to win an international rugby match. It is not by accident that these games are referred to as Test matches – because that is what they are, the ultimatein physical and mental challenge and that is certainly always on the menu when England are our opponents.”
“We have experienced players in our team and they must make that knowledge count by helping the team to a successful start on Saturday.”
The full Scotland starting lineup on Saturday shall be as follows:
- 15 Rory Lamont (Glasgow Warriors) 26 caps, 6 tries, 30 points
- 14 Lee Jones (Edinburgh Rugby) new cap
- 13 Nick De Luca (Edinburgh Rugby) 29 caps, 1 try, 5 points
- 12 Sean Lamont (Scarlets) 60 caps, 8 tries, 40 points
- 11 Max Evans (Castres) 24 caps, 3 tries, 15 points
- 10 Dan Parks (Cardiff Blues) 66 caps, 4 tries, 15 conversions, 53 penalties, 17 drop-goals, 260 points
- 9 Chris Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors) 55 caps, 3 tries, 15 points
- 1 Allan Jacobsen (Edinburgh Rugby) 60 caps
- 2 Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) 53 caps, 2 tries, 10 points CAPTAIN
- 3 Euan Murray (Newcastle Falcons) 41 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
- 4 Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors) 16 caps
- 5 Jim Hamilton (Gloucester) 34 caps, 1 try, 5 points
- 6 Alasdair Strokosch (Gloucester) 23 caps, 1 try, 5 points
- 7 Ross Rennie (Edinburgh Rugby) 11 caps
- 8 David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby) 1 cap
- 16 Scott Lawson (Gloucester) 29 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
- 17 Geoff Cross (Edinburgh Rugby) 8 caps
- 18 Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors) 36 caps, 1 try, 5 points
- 19 John Barclay (Glasgow Warriors) 32 caps, 2 tries, 10 points
- 20 Mike Blair (Edinburgh Rugby) 75 caps, 7 tries, 35 points
- 21 Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby) 2 caps
- 22 Graeme Morrison (Glasgow Warriors) 32 caps, 3 tries, 15 points
Scotland v England will kick-off at 17:00 GMT (18:00 CET) on Saturday 4th February 2012, at Murrayfield, Edinburgh.