Pork producers will be celebrating British Sausage Week from 31st October until 6th November – especially in the UK’s New Forest, where the New Forest Marque has been introduced to help tourists sample locally grown food from quality producers.
The award winning Oakwood Butchers in Brockenhurst will be holding a competition for sausage recipes with the winning combination awarded by the head chef from a nearby country house hotel, James Golding. Entries must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 21st October after which they will be created by the butchers and judged by the chef.
The Crown and Stirrup at Clay Hill, Lyndhurst, SO43 7DE, will be holding a Cider & Sausage festival from 28th – 30th October 2011 with live music and a pumpkin carving competition.
For those unable to travel, the New Forest cook book “More Seasoning” provides a plethora of culinary directions for British ingredients. A sample recipe is this note for “Sausage Pockets” detailed below:
Sausage Pastries Recipe – taken from “More Seasoning”
A refined variation on the sausage roll – ideal served hot, or cooled for lunches.
20 – 30 minutes
Gas 6 / 200°C / fan 180°C
- 1 sheet ready rolled puff pastry
- 8 sausages
- 4 tbsp of your favourite cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp mustard (English, grain or Dijon)
- 1 beaten egg
- In a frying pan brown the sausages but don’t cook through.
- Roll pastry from the long side so it is the right size to cut into 4 squares.
- Spread some mustard over each square and scatter over the cheese.
- Place 2 sausages on each square so they are each side of a point.
- Fold the opposite point over then the 2 sides using the beaten egg to glue in place.
- Brush with egg and put on a baking tray.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes until golden.
These are very good served with Red Onion Marmalade. Cut 3 red onions into wedges and fry until soft and browning in the pan you cooked the sausages in. Add 2 tbsp balsamic or red wine vinegar and 2 tbsp brown sugar and cook gently for 10 minutes.
“More Seasoning” can be purchased from the New Forest Marque online shop at: http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/shop/