On 28th July 2011, the American Culinary Federation announced its 2011 awards for culinary excellence. At the very top of the plaudits was the U.S.A. Chef of the Year, Todd Kelly.
Chef Kelly is the executive chef and director of food and beverage at the Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza in Cincinnati, Ohio, United States.The French Art Deco hotel is on the US National Register of Historic Places and hosts one of the best eateries in the US.
While he has been at the helm, the hotel’s restaurant, Orchids, has been named Cincinnati’s Top Restaurant in 2011, One of the Top 50 Restaurants in the US and Hilton Hotel & Resort’s #1 Food & Beverage Hotel in the USA for two years running as well as receiving a Four-Diamond rating from AAA.
Here, chef Kelly gives readers of The Global Herald an exclusive recipe for Red Snapper “En Papillote”:
Red Snapper “En Papillote”
– with Madras Curry Vinaigrette, Vidalia Onions, Tzatziki and Tart Apple Salad
- 8 each – 1 ounce Red Snapper portions
- 1 each – Vidalia Onion
- 2 tablespoons – Butter
- 1 tablespoon – Chopped Thyme
- 8 each – Bric Dough Cut Into 4” Circles
- Filet fish and cut into eight-one ounce portions.
- Julienne onion and cook in butter. Season with salt, pepper and chopped thyme.
- Reserve cold.
- Season the fish and place in the center of the bric dough and top with the cooled onions. Fold the bric dough over the fish to form a semi-circle.
- Sear the fish in clarified butter until the bric dough is crispy and the fish is gently cooked inside.
Madras Curry Vinaigrette
- 6 oz Cider Vinegar
- 4 oz Orange Juice
- 2 oz Lemon Juice
- 1½ oz Honey
- 1 oz Garlic
- 1 oz Lemon Grass
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 teaspoons Pepper
- 18 oz Curry Oil
- In a medium sauce pot reduce all ingredients minus the curry oil to syrup.
- Strain the mixture through a china cap and cool. In a blender add the base and drizzle in the curry oil with the motor running.
- ½ cup Thick Yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon Chopped Garlic
- 2 Each 2” Section of English Cucumber
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Julienne the cucumber on a mandolin. Mix all ingredients together. Season with salt and pepper.
Tart Apple Salad
- 2 Each Apple
- ¼ Cup Micro Bull’s Blood (specialist salad leaves)
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Peel apple and cut into batonnets. Toss apples with micro greens and lemon vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper.
Place a pool of the curry vinaigrette in the center of the plate. Place 2 of the brick dough packets in the center of the plate. Top with the cucumber tzatziki and apple salad.
Note: This dish is intended to have hot and cold components.
Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza is located at 35 West Fifth Street, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA 45202. Tel: 513-421-9100.