Dhruv Baker was the winner of the UK’s Masterchef competition in 2010 and has now contributed a series of delectable recipes to The Global Herald in association with Patak’s.
The talented culinarian said of the spicy concoctions:
“Part pasty, part empanada, whatever it is, we’ve put an Indian spin on these delicious party or picnic snacks. The Madras paste delivers that lovely Indian flavour and a good bit of heat, and with the addition of ginger, cinnamon and lime, these little bites will keep your taste buds tingling for a while.”
Fiery Lamb Puffs
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Cooling Time 15 minutes
Ingredients – makes 10
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp of Patak’s Madras Paste
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1-1 ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 500g lamb mince
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 handful of fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 block of shop bought puff pastry (or a 375g packet of pre-rolled puff pastry
to save more time)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 egg yolks to glaze the puffs
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas Mark 6
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan and then add the Patak’s Madras Paste, frying for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, cinnamon and onion and fry for 2 minutes, before adding the ginger, garlic and lamb.
- Cook for about 15 minutes before draining off any excess oil and adding the lime juice, coriander and seasoning.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes. N.B the cooler the filling the better it will hold together!
- Roll the pastry out until it is about 3mm thick and then cut into 6cm x 6cm squares.
- Place a heaped teaspoon of the filling into the centre of the square and brush the inside edges of the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Fold one corner of the square over to the opposite corner so that it forms a triangle and seal all the way round with a fork.
- Pierce a small hole in the top to allow steam to escape when cooking.
- Brush the outside with the egg yolks before placing in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden.