Despite serious warnings, demonstrations are continuing across the United States against coronavirus lockdowns.
Protesters say stay-at-home orders “violate their civil liberties” and many are concerned about surveillance in this time.
There are already talks in the US of using smart technology to locate coronavirus hotspots and to trace those who may have come into contact with the infected.
Facebook and Google have been in talks with the government on sharing information they collect about us.
Protesters are calling for full transparency as to what is being collected, how long it will be kept, by whom, and how this data will be used, particularly by law enforcement.
Al Jazeera’s Shihab Rattansi reports from Washington, DC.
– Subscribe to our channel: http://aje.io/AJSubscribe
– Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AJEnglish
– Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aljazeera
– Check our website: https://www.aljazeera.com/
#AlJazeeraEnglish #US #Coronavirus
In This Story: Covid-19
Covid-19 is the official WHO name given to the novel coronavirus which broke out in late 2019 and began to spread in the early months of 2020.
Symptoms of coronavirus
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a persistent new cough (non productive, dry)
- a high temperature (e.g. head feels warm to the touch)
- shortness of breath (if this is abnormal for the individual, or increased)
Latest News about Covid-19
Below are stories from around the globe related to the 2020 outbreak of novel Coronavirus – since the WHO gave the Covid-19 naming. Most recent items are posted nearest the top.