Atlanta PD suspected Rayshard Brooks of having had too much to drink.
The 27-year-old father of three was captured on police bodycam footage as he attempted to resist arrest on Friday night. A scuffle ensued, during which cops and Brooks attempted to wrestle control of a taser. CCTV footage then shows Brooks attempting to flee from the police, only to be shot in the back. He collapsed in the Wendy’s car park as shocked onlookers watched on.
– The Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which is now looking into the incident, says police were responding to a call about someone falling asleep at a drive-through and blocking cars.
– The officer who shot Brooks was terminated, and a second officer has been placed on administrative leave.
– Less than 24 hours after Brooks’ death, Atlanta police chief Erika Shields resigned, according to Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms.
– The killing has sparked outrage and fresh anti-police brutality protests, just weeks after the killing of George Floyd under a police officer’s knee unleashed civil unrest across the US.
– Protesters burned down the Wendy’s restaurant where the incident took place
Check out http://rt.com
Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/RTnews
Follow us on VK https://vk.com/rt_international
Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/RT_com
Follow us on Instagram http://instagram.com/rt
Follow us on Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/rttv
#RT (Russia Today) is a global #news network broadcasting from Moscow, London, Paris and Washington studios to over 100 countries. RT is the first news channel to break the 1 billion YouTube views benchmark.
In This Story: George Floyd
George Floyd was an African-American man who died on 25th May 2020 in Powderhorn, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, following police arrest. Video recording by a witness, showing Floyd repeating “Please”, “I can’t breathe”, and “Don’t kill me”, was widely circulated on social media platforms and broadcast by media. The incident led to widespread protests across the United States.