New coronavirus cases in the US have risen to their highest level in two months with almost 2.5 million infections and more than 121,000 deaths.
Researchers at the University of Washington are now predicting that nearly 180,000 people could die from COVID-19 by October.
Once the epicentre of the pandemic, New York state, along with its neighbours, New Jersey and Connecticut, is clamping down on movement from affected states.
Al Jazeera’s Mike Hanna reports from Washington, DC.
– Subscribe to our channel: http://aje.io/AJSubscribe
– Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AJEnglish
– Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aljazeera
– Check our website: https://www.aljazeera.com/
#UScoronavirus #covid19 #NewYork
In This Story: COVID-19
Covid-19 is the official WHO name given to the novel coronavirus which broke out in late 2019 and began to spread in the early months of 2020.
Symptoms of coronavirus
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a persistent new cough (non productive, dry)
- a high temperature (e.g. head feels warm to the touch)
- shortness of breath (if this is abnormal for the individual, or increased)
Latest News about Covid-19
Below are stories from around the globe related to the 2020 outbreak of novel Coronavirus – since the WHO gave the Covid-19 naming. Most recent items are posted nearest the top.