Latin America is seeing worrisome spikes in infections even in countries that had initially controlled the new coronavirus. Colombia on Tuesday passed 400,000 confirmed cases, becoming the country with the eighth highest total in the world.
The region is the current epicentre of the pandemic.
The economic effects of long lockdowns are also sparking protests.
Al Jazeera’s Alessandro Rampietti reports from Colombia’s capital, Bogota.
– Subscribe to our channel: http://aje.io/AJSubscribe
– Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AJEnglish
– Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aljazeera
– Check our website: https://www.aljazeera.com/
#Coronavirus #COVID-19 #LatinAmerica
In This Story: Covid-19
Covid-19 is the official WHO name given to the novel coronavirus which broke out in late 2019 and began to spread in the early months of 2020.
Symptoms of coronavirus
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a persistent new cough (non productive, dry)
- a high temperature (e.g. head feels warm to the touch)
- shortness of breath (if this is abnormal for the individual, or increased)
Latest News about Covid-19
Below are stories from around the globe related to the 2020 outbreak of novel Coronavirus – since the WHO gave the Covid-19 naming. Most recent items are posted nearest the top.