No country in the Middle East was hit harder by the coronavirus pandemic than Iran. It has recorded more deaths than anywhere else in the region and total infections are still rising, although rates of infection are declining.
Despite warnings, the government has shifted focus from curbing the virus to saving the economy as it relaxes restrictions and opens cities up for business.
Health experts say it puts people’s lives at risk, while Iran claims it has few other options as its economy struggles under years of United States sanctions.
– Subscribe to our channel: http://aje.io/AJSubscribe
– Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AJEnglish
– Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aljazeera
– Check our website: https://www.aljazeera.com/
In This Story: COVID-19
Covid-19 is the official WHO name given to the novel coronavirus which broke out in late 2019 and began to spread in the early months of 2020.
Symptoms of coronavirus
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a persistent new cough (non productive, dry)
- a high temperature (e.g. head feels warm to the touch)
- shortness of breath (if this is abnormal for the individual, or increased)
Latest News about Covid-19
Below are stories from around the globe related to the 2020 outbreak of novel Coronavirus – since the WHO gave the Covid-19 naming. Most recent items are posted nearest the top.