It seems that almost every day we reach a new & grim record of COVID-19 cases:
-Over 183k new cases were reported on 21 June 2020
-Over 8.8 million cases have now been reported globally & almost half a million people have lost their lives.
We continue to urge all countries to double down on the fundamental public health measures that we know work:
1. Finding and testing suspected COVID-19 cases
2. Isolating and caring for the sick
3. Tracing and quarantining contacts
4. Protecting healthworkers
At the same time, COVID-19 public health measures can only be effective if each and every individual takes the measures that we also know work to protect themselves and others:
1. Maintain physical distance
2. Continue cleaning your hands
3. Wear a mask where appropriate
Watch the whole press conference of 22 June 2020 here:
In This Story: Covid-19
Covid-19 is the official WHO name given to the novel coronavirus which broke out in late 2019 and began to spread in the early months of 2020.
Symptoms of coronavirus
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a persistent new cough (non productive, dry)
- a high temperature (e.g. head feels warm to the touch)
- shortness of breath (if this is abnormal for the individual, or increased)
Latest News about Covid-19
Below are stories from around the globe related to the 2020 outbreak of novel Coronavirus – since the WHO gave the Covid-19 naming. Most recent items are posted nearest the top.