Eddie Hughes, 56, is a COVID-19 survivor. He contracted the disease after two previous bouts of sepsis that weakened his immune system.
His daughter said that at one point, the respirator was doing 100 percent of his breathing.
“I get flashbacks to that period. I don’t recall it, but I get flashbacks,” Hughes said.
After weeks, Hughes was eventually released from intensive care, but he still has a long road to full recovery and he said he will make every day count.
Al Jazeera’s Jonah Hull was given access to Scottish hospitals taking part in a huge experiment that could save many thousands of lives.
– Subscribe to our channel: http://aje.io/AJSubscribe
– Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AJEnglish
– Find us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aljazeera
– Check our website: https://www.aljazeera.com/
#AlJazeeraEnglish #Coronavirus #Scotland
In This Story: Covid-19
Covid-19 is the official WHO name given to the novel coronavirus which broke out in late 2019 and began to spread in the early months of 2020.
Symptoms of coronavirus
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a persistent new cough (non productive, dry)
- a high temperature (e.g. head feels warm to the touch)
- shortness of breath (if this is abnormal for the individual, or increased)
Latest News about Covid-19
Below are stories from around the globe related to the 2020 outbreak of novel Coronavirus – since the WHO gave the Covid-19 naming. Most recent items are posted nearest the top.