The 2011 Sundance Film Festival has just got under way in Utah with studios, producers and independent film makers coming together to receive awards, gain publicity and do business.
Films showing at the festival include;
- The Devil’s Double a film about Saddam Hussein’s body double
- The Cave a Tsilhqot’in tale of a horseman who discovers a portal to the afterlife
- My Idiot Brother about a man who returns to live with his sisters after serving time for cannabis dealing
- The Greatest Movie Ever Sold A documentary about branding, advertising and product placement is financed and made possible by branding, advertising and product placement.
- Margin Call Over a 24-hour period during the early stages of the 2008 financial crisis, the key people at an investment bank struggle to decide how to handle an emergency business situation – with Kevin Spacey, Paul Bettany, Jeremy Irons, Zachary Quinto, Demi Moore, and Stanley Tucci.
- Happy, Happy (Sykt Lykkelig) A horny housewife tries to keep a lid on it when an attractive neighbour moves in.
- sound of my voice A young couple infiltrates a cult that meets in a basement in the San Fernando Valley.
At the 2011 Festival, Grand Jury Prizes will be awarded to one U.S. dramatic film and one U.S. documentary film screening in competition; World Cinema Jury Prizes will be awarded to one world dramatic film and one world documentary film screening in competition.
In addition to the top jury prizes, all films in Competition are eligible to receive a range of awards, including: Directing Awards, Excellence in Cinematography Awards, and Documentary Editing Awards. The Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award will be presented to a U.S. film by the Dramatic Competition Jury, with the World Cinema Dramatic Competition Jury presenting the World Cinema Screenwriting Award.
All films in Competition and films in the NEXT section are eligible for Sundance Film Festival Audience Awards as selected by Film Festival audiences.