Clodagh McKenna posted this classic bolognese recipe onto her Insta, embedded below – watch the video to enjoy the cooking!
Note, you can find recipe details, and leave your rating (will update the stars ratings above) by scrolling down this page, after enjoying Clodagh’s delightful video from Instagram!
Classic Bolognese Recipe
- 2 tbps olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g / 2 cups minced beef (ground beef)
- 500g / 2 cups minced pork
- 400ml / 1½ cups red wine (optional)
- 2 x 400g/14 oz tinned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Serve with
- Spagetti or linguine
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place a casserole dish over a medium/low heat and add the oil.
- Stir in the onion, carrot, celery and garlic, stir and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in the beef and pork, season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat has turned a light brown colour.
- Pour in the wine and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes (optional).
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée, dried oregano and nutmeg, season with salt and pepper and mix well. Reduce the heat and leave to simmer for one hour. The longer you allow it to simmer the more tender and flavorsome the ragu becomes. Add a little beef stock if it becomes too thick.
- Put a large saucepan of salted water over a high heat and bring to the boil. Tip in the linguine and continue to stir for 2 minutes. Cook until al dente and drain, reserving 2 tablespoons cooking water.
- Return the pasta to the saucepan (off the heat) and stir in the cooking water followed by the ragu.
- Serve with grated Parmesan sprinkled over.
Enjoyed This? Order the Cookbook
Clodagh McKenna has a cookbook available on Amazon – visit this link to find out more.