At a ladies-only college in Oxford, the alumni are having a gathering to send off one of their best known Professors. Bitchy asides and high-class bullying make sure that the evening is not uneventful.
A waitress finds a body after the drinks and the false laughter have faded away. The case brings back the memories of a similar incident some nine years ago for DI Lewis. The policeman is transported back to an unhappy time and a case that he was taken off.
Trying to get in touch with an old colleague proves less helpful than he expected. However, Hathaway is ever present to provide the support Lewis needs and an unexpected medical miracle gives the pair leverage to force old friends to tell the truth about their indiscretions.
As the bodies start to pile up, Midsomer style, the Oxford coppers are in a race against time to unmask the guests from a fancy dress ball that took place nearly a decade ago.
Lewis is to the mind what a warm bath is to the body. Ideal Sunday evening viewing.
“Lewis: Old, Unhappy, Far Off Things” airs on 3rd April 2011 at 8pm on ITV in the UK only.
- Kevin Whately as DI Robert Lewis
- Laurence Fox as DS James Hathaway
- Clare Holman as Dr Laura Hobson
- Rebecca Front as Innocent
- Zoë Telford as Freya Carlisle
- Stephanie Street as Lakshmi Eyre
- Melanie Kilburn as Pauline Turrill
- Juliet Stevenson as Diana Ellerby
- Shannon Tarbett as Samantha Coyle
- Joanne Pearce as Marion Ferber
- Hattie Morahan as Ruth Brooks
- Antonia Campbell Hughes as Chloe Brooks
- Saskia Reeves as Alison McLennan
- Hassani Shapi as Dr Copeland
- Ian Bleasdale as Mr Festing
- James Rochford as Edward Florey