English football returns on Saturday 6th August 2011, with the opening day of the new Npower Championship season beginning.
This tricky league, which feeds into the English Premier League, is always ultra-competitive and 2011/12 looks like being no different, with title challenges expected from Leicester City, Nottingham Forest, Cardiff, while last year’s relegated Premier League sides West Ham, Blackpool and Birmingham are also strongly tipped to bounce back to the top tier.
Big seasons can be expected from Ipswich, Burnley and Brighton, too, meaning that a good start is vital if one of these teams wants to get ahead of the pack and secure one of the top two slots required for automatic promotion.
Blackpool opened this season with a solid 1-0 win over Hull City on Friday evening, so sit atop the table, at least overnight, with 20 of the remaining 22 teams due to play on Saturday afternoon.
The biggest fixture of the weekend will be the match between promotion-seekers West Ham and Cardiff at West Ham’s Upton Park on Sunday 7th August 2011.
Npower Championship 2011/12 Fixtures – Saturday 6th August 2011
Kick-Off times in British Summer Time (BST) which is CET -1 hour.
- Coventry v Leicester – Kick-Off 12:30 (BST)
- Brighton v Doncaster – Kick-Off 15:00 (BST)
- Bristol City v Ipswich – Kick-Off 15:00 (BST)
- Burnley v Watford – Kick-Off 15:00 (BST)
- Derby v Birmingham – Kick-Off 15:00 (BST)
- Middlesbrough v Portsmouth – Kick-Off 15:00 (BST)
- Nott’m Forest v Barnsley – Kick-Off 15:00 (BST)
- Peterborough v Crystal Palace – Kick-Off 15:00 (BST)
- Reading v Millwall – Kick-Off 15:00 (BST)
- Southampton v Leeds – Kick-Off 17:20 (BST)
Npower Championship 2011/12 Fixtures – Sunday 7th August 2011
- West Ham v Cardiff – Kick-Off 13:00 (BST)