Lisa Riley – better known as Mandy Dingle from TV soap, Emmerdale as well as a panellist on Loose Women – shares a tasty recipe for apple strudel from her new book: “Lisa Riley’s Honesty Diet”.
This Morning published this video item, entitled “The Life of Riley – Apple Strudel | This Morning” – below is their description.
She’s here to end her series inspiring us to get healthy by sharing some of her favourite guilt-free recipes.This Morning YouTube Channel
Got a comment? Leave your thoughts in the comments section, below. Please note comments are moderated before publication.
Lisa Riley’s Healthy Apple Strudel Recipe
- 300g Golden Delicious apples, diced
- 100g sultanas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon clear honey 3 sheets of filo pastry
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten 25g aked almonds
- 2 teaspoons low-fat crème fraîche (optional), to serve
- Extra cinnamon (optional), to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Fan 170oC/Gas 5.
- Cook the apples, sultanas, cinnamon and three-quarters of a tablespoon of honey in a saucepan on the hob over a low heat for 8–10 minutes, or until the fruit is soft.
- When you are ready to assemble the strudel, unroll the filo pastry sheets. Brush one sheet with egg white, place another sheet on top of it, and repeat twice. Spoon the fruit mixture lengthways across one edge of the pastry, leaving 1cm of space at each end. Roll up the strudel, beginning with the side where the filling is and working across to the other side so you are left with a long tube shape. Press the edges together firmly to seal, and seal the ends well with egg white.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and carefully place the strudel on to the tray. Brush the remaining honey across the top and slash the pastry at 2cm intervals along the length of the strudel. Scatter over the baked almonds and bake in the oven for30–40 minutes.
- Allow the strudel to cool for 5 minutes, and serve with a little low-fatcrème fraîche. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon if required.
Lisa’s tip: Filo pastry sheets can dry out very quickly, so keep them wrapped or covered until you’re ready to use them.
Per serving (including crème fraiche) 255cals | 6g protein | 6g fat (1g saturates) | 44g carbs (28g total sugars) | 3g fibre