Our favourite Brummy is in the kitchen today, with a tasty midweek meal. Alison is making the very first recipe her mum Maria taught her to cook – succulent pork chops served with a sweet potato mash. Yum!This Morning YouTube Channel
Broadcast on 22/07/20
Alison Hammond’s Pork Chop Recipe
- 4 x pork chops, nice and thick, with the rind left on
- 2tbsp all purpose seasoning
- 1tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 pepper, sliced
- 1 – 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp gravy browning
- 1 x pork stock cube
- 2tbsp tomato puree
- 600ml hot water
- Gravy granules or cornflour, to thicken if necessary
- 500g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into even sized chunks
- 25g butter
- 400g broccoli, cut into florets and par boiled for 1 minute
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- pinch of chilli flakes
- 1tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the marinade in a bowl, pour over the chops and massage into the meat – leave overnight in the fridge if you have time
- Heat a casserole dish or dutchie pot and take the pork chops out of the marinade – brush off any excess marinade. Sear the pork chops all over so they get a really good colour on them, I like to do this as it helps make your sauce.
- Add the marinade to the pan along with the onions and peppers, then mix in a stock cube and the water. Place the lid on and simmer the chops for 1 hour, until soft and tender so they get juicy and succulent. Add some gravy granules or cornflour to thicken the sauce, if necessary.
- Meanwhile, make the sweet potato mash – carefully place the sweet potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until cooked through and tender. Drain well and the mash with salt, pepper and the butter.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the broccoli and stir fry for a minute or so. Sprinkle over the sesame oil, chilli flakes and sesame seeds and mix well.
- Serve the chops with the sweet potato mash and sesame broccoli