This Morning published this video item, entitled “Alison Is Bringing The Kebab Shop Into Your Home With This Tasty Recipe | This Morning” – below is their description.
It’s a takeaway favourite, but if all those calories suck the fun out of a cheeky kebab, Alison’s got a solution today. Our favourite Brummy is back in the kitchen, with her healthier alternative to the classic chicken kebab. Broadcast on 07/09/20This Morning YouTube Channel
Got a comment? Leave your thoughts in the comments section, below. Please note comments are moderated before publication.
Alison Hammond’s Chicken Kebab Recipe
- 150ml passata
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp all-purpose seasoning
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 large potato, washed, leave skin on
- 1 large red onion, base and top trimmed
- For the avocado smash (if using)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 ½ tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce (to taste)
- Warm wholemeal wraps
- Red or white cabbage, shredded
- Lettuce, shredded
- Chopped tomatoes shredded
- Cucumber, sliced
- Lemon or lime wedges
- To make the marinade, place the passata in a large bowl with the garlic, all-purpose seasoning, smoked paprika, black pepper, honey and Worcestershire sauce and mix well
- Add the chicken thighs to the marinade and stir well to coat the chicken. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge preferably overnight, or for at least a few hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4
- To make the kebab, slice off the base of the potato lengthways to create a flat bottom. Place onto a non stick roasting tray with the flat bottom downwards
- Insert 3 long wooden skewers (pointed end upwards) vertically across the length of the potato about 3cm apart, pushing into the potato to secure, but leave plenty of the skewer exposed to allow you to insert the chicken onto
- Insert a chicken thigh across all 3 skewers pressing down firmly, then repeat with the remaining chicken thighs layering and pressing down as you go
- Finally skewer the onion on top (halve the onion if necessary to partly cover the chicken on top, this helps prevent the chicken from burning)
- Bake upright for 1 ½ hours, you will have to remove some of the oven shelves to allow the kebab to fit in the oven
- After 45 minutes, check the kebab and brush with the cooking juices. Cover the top lightly with foil if charring too much then continue cooking for a further 45 – 55 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through.
- To make the avocado smash, mash the avocado roughly with a fork, then stir in the mayonnaise and chilli sauce to taste
- Remove the chicken kebab from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Take off the onion and slice separately. Firmly hold the top of the chicken using your hand or a fork and use a sharp knife to thinly slice downwards through the chicken removing the skewers as you go.
- Slice the potato into wedges and pour over any of the cooking juices if liked
- Spread each warm wrap with some of the avocado smash, top with the chicken, cabbage, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and cooked and sliced onion. Add a squeeze of lemon or lime. Roll up and enjoy with some of the potato wedges on the side.