Gales and storms have hit the UK on 3rd January with fallen trees reported in Edinburgh and the Midlothian Snowsports Centre at Hillend closed on safety grounds until the winds subside. Other sports and leisure facilities have been closed for the day with reports of storm damage.
Bins will not be collected in the Scottish capital until tomorrow after a refuse worked was blown into a vehicle, receiving facial injuries. Residents have been asked to move their bins back from the roadside until Wednesday morning, to minimise disruption.
An amber alert has been issued for most of Scotland by the UK Met Office and parts of Northern England are also on alert.
A number of roads have been closed in Scotland:
- 78 Skelmorlie – A760 Largs, Northbound & Southbound
- M8 J19 – J19(E) Kingston Bridge, Westbound
- M9 J1(Newbridge) – M8 J2(Claylands), Eastbound & Westbound
- M9 Bridge over A9 – J8 (Kinnaird), Eastbound & Westbound
- A720 Calder Jct – Baberton Jct, Westbound
- A898 Erskine Bridge, Both Directions
Police forces are urging motorists to proceed with caution and avoid unnecessary travel. Dalkeith High Street remains closed in both directions after heavy winds toppled chimneypots onto pavements close to the Ship Inn pub.