Kenya took all three top spots in the women’s 5000m, marking a hat trick for fellow countrywomen Vivian J. Cheruiyot (Gold), Sylvia Jebiwot Kibet (Silver) and Ines Chenonge (Bronze). The ladies will ascend the podium at the Jawaharlal Nehru Sports Complex in Delhi to receive their medals at 19:35 local time.
Ms Cheruiyot explained the Kenyan domination: “That’s because we train very hard, we train all year long.” The race was led for the first 1000m by the Scotswoman Freya Murray, then dominated for the midsection by Sylvia Kibet before Vivian Cheruiyot showed her hand.
The full results are as follows:
- Vivian J. Cheruiyot – KENYA – 15:55.12
- Sylvia Jebiwot Kibet – KENYA – 16:02.47
- Ines Chenonge – KENYA – 16:02.47
- Stephanie Twell – SCOTLAND – 16:03.91
- Eloise Wellings – AUSTRALIA – 16:11.97
- Charlotte Purdue – ENGLAND – 16:16.13
- Freya Murray – SCOTLAND – 16:26.22
- Megan Wright – CANADA – 16:55.86
- Jacqueline Murekatete – RWANDA– 17:15.44
- Lalita Babar – INDIA– DNS
- Jhuma Khatun – INDIA – DNS