The International Olive Council is gearing up for a new campaign “Add Some Life” to promote the consumption of olives in the USA and Canada. The IOC teamed up with The Global Herald to produce this series of healthy and exciting recipes using, you guessed it, olives.
4 servings (4 kabobs)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ lb. large raw shrimp, shelled and deveined*
- 12 canned extra small artichoke hearts or artichoke heart quarters
- 12 large pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese, optional
- Combine olive oil, lemon peel, lemon juice, Greek seasoning, oregano and salt in large plastic food storage bag; flex to mix well.
- Add shrimp and seal; toss to coat. Marinate in refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Heat grill to medium direct heat. Meanwhile, add artichoke pieces and olives to marinade; toss to coat.
- Thread shrimp, artichokes and olives on 4 12-inch to 14-inch skewers (or place in grill basket).
- Grill covered 5 to 8 minutes or until shrimp are opaque, turning once or twice.
- Remove to serving platter; sprinkle with feta cheese, if desired.
*If desired, substitute 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves for shrimp. Cut chicken into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Marinate and grill as directed for shrimp.