DCI Banks: Aftermath is the tale of a middling Detective Chief Inspector, who is under pressure to perform on a high profile murder case. The horror of the crime is compounded by lying witnesses, office politics and a volatile media reaction.
Based on the novel of the same name from award-winning international crime writer Peter Robinson, the two hour long episodes were filmed on location in Leeds.
The plot moves a little slowly in the first episode, with the concluding episode containing much more movement. The dramatic device of showing DCI Banks looking at the ghosts of victims feels a little overworked, but otherwise this is an engaging and twisted plot with a truly outstanding performance from Charlotte Riley
The final confrontation scenes between perpetrator and policeman are both moving and disturbing, making emotional observations on criminal responsibility and capacity. The Myra Hindley case is overtly echoed through the plot and setting.
Make a date in your diary for DCI Banks: Aftermath.
DCI Banks: Aftermath will be shown on 27th September & 4th October at 9pm on ITV1.
- Stephen Tompkinson (Wild at Heart, Grafters) as Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks.
- Andrea Lowe (Coronation Street, Route Irish) as DS Annie Cabbot
- Charlotte Riley (The Take, Wuthering Heights) as Lucy Payne
- Monica Dolan (U B Dead, Occupation) as Maggie Forest
- Samuel Roukin (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Solomon Kane) as Terry Payne
- Lorraine Burroughs (Identity, New Tricks) as DS Winsome Jackson
- Jack Deam (The Street, Shameless) as DS Ken Blackston
- Colin Tierney (Nowhere Boy, Cracker) as Chief Superintendent Gerry Rydall
- Barry Sloan (Hollyoaks, The Mark of Cain) as Jackie Wray