There were no dramatic turnarounds from the 1st leg in the UEFA Europa League Round of 16 2nd leg fixtures which took place on the evening of Thursday 17th March 2011.
Every side which carried a lead into the second leg managed to qualify, though Braga will be most pleased that they managed to hold firm at Liverpool’s Anfield and carry their 1-0 home win through 90 minutes away at the Barclays Premier League outfit.
Also of the Premier League, Manchester City were unable to come back from the 2-0 away defeat they suffered at Dynamo Kiev: they did win 1-0 at home, but it was not enough to keep them in the competition; City went out 2-1 on aggregate.
Zenit St Petersburg gave themselves a massive task when they went down 3-0 away at FC Twente, and, while they managed to recoup two of those goals, their 2-0 home win was not enough to secure their Europa League place in the Quarter Finals. Twente progress to the next round.
The teams who made it through to the Quarter Finals are:
- FC Porto
- Dynamo Kiev
- PSV Eindhoven
- Spartak Moscow
- FC Twente
UEFA Europa League 2011 Round of 16 2nd Leg Results – Thursday 17th March 2011
- FC Porto 2-1 CSKA Moscow (agg 3-1)
- Liverpool 0-0 Braga (agg 0-1)
- Man City 1-0 Dynamo Kiev (agg 1-2)
- Paris SG 1-1 Benfica (agg 2-3)
- Rangers 0-1 PSV Eindhoven (agg 0-1)
- Spartak Moscow 3-0 Ajax (agg 4-0)
- Villarreal 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen (agg 5-3)
- Zenit St Petersburg 2-0 FC Twente (agg 2-3)