14 football matches took place on the evening of Thursday 24th February 2011, in order to decide which of the remaining teams would make it through from the UEFA Europa League 2011 Round of 32 to the Round of 16.
Some entertaining ties included Liverpool v Sparta Prague, where the hosts left it late to add the winner in the second leg which began at 0-0 on aggregate: Dirk Kuyt scored in the 85th minute to send Anfield fans into raptures, and his team into the next round, with a 1-0 2ng leg – and aggregate – victory.
Paris Saint Germain v BATE Borisov was a tense and nervy affair, as the second leg finished 0-0, meaning the Paris side progressed on away goals.
Also going through on away goals are Rangers, who played their part in perhaps the most entertaining tie of the round. Having drawn 1-1 in Glasgow, Diouf scored on 20 minutes to put Rangers in the driving seat, however Sporting replied through Medes who tied the score on 42 minutes, before Djalo looked to have sealed their passage into the Round of 16 with an 86th minute goal. In the second minute of injury time – 90+2 – however, Maurice Edu scored a vital goal to level the scores at 2-2, and put the visitors through courtesy of their additional away goal.
In Braga v Lech Posnan, the home side reversed a 0-1 aggregate scoreline from the first leg by winning 2-0 at home to go through with a 2-1 aggregate score.
Zenit St Petersburg performed the best turnaround from the first leg, though, as they recovered from a 2-1 away defeat at the hands of Young Boys, to record a 3-1 home victory last night: they go through 4-3 on aggregate.
Full UEFA Europa League 2011 Round of 32 second leg results for Thursday 24th February 2011 are detailed below.
UEFA Europa League 2011 Round of 32 2nd Leg Results – Thursday 24th February 2011
- Ajax 2-0 Anderlecht (agg 5-0)
- Bayer Leverkusen 2-0 FC Metalist Kharkiv (agg 6-0)
- Braga 2-0 Lech Poznan (agg 2-1)
- Dynamo Kiev 4-0 Besiktas (agg 8-1)
- FC Twente 2-2 Rubin Kazan (agg 4-2)
- Liverpool 1-0 Sparta Prague (agg 1-0)
- Man City 3-0 Aris Salonika (agg 3-0)
- Paris SG 0-0 BATE Borisov (agg 2-2) (PSG win on away goals rule)
- PSV Eindhoven 3-1 Lille (agg 5-3)
- Spartak Moscow 1-1 Basle (agg 4-3)
- Sporting 2-2 Rangers (agg 3-3) (Rangers win on away goals rule)
- VfB Stuttgart 0-2 Benfica (agg 1-4)
- Villarreal 2-1 Napoli (agg 2-1)
- Zenit St Petersburg 3-1 Young Boys (agg 4-3)