The Queensland Firebirds won the final of the ANZ Netball Championships on Sunday 29th May 2011. The team from Northern Australia beat the the Northern Mystics 57-44. The final took place in the Queensland state capital of Brisbane.
Australian Minister for Sport Mark Arbib congratulated the team on a terrific performance:
“The standard of netball in this year’s ANZ Championships was outstanding, which makes the Firebirds’ achievements all the more remarkable.
“And for the third consecutive year, the ANZ Championship Grand Final was played before a capacity crowd after tickets for season-decider sold out in less than 20 minutes.”
As a result, Chelsea Pitman, a previously uncapped player for the Firebirds, has been selected to play for the Australia Diamonds netball team for the 2011 World Netball Championships in Singapore.
The full team was announced at The Lodge in Canberra, with the full team sheet for the Diamonds as follows:
- Natalie von Bertouch (Adelaide Thunderbirds)
- Catherine Cox (NSW Swifts)
- Caitlin Bassett (West Coast Fever)
- Chelsea Pitman (Queensland Firebirds)
- Erin Bell (Adelaide Thunderbirds)
- Julie Corletto (Melbourne Vixens)
- Kimberlee Green (NSW Swifts)
- Laura Geitz (Queensland Firebirds)
- Mo’onia Gerrard (NSW Swifts)
- Natalie Medhurst (Queensland Firebirds)
- Sharni Layton (Adelaide Thunderbirds)
- Susan Fuhrmann (West Coast Fever)