Showjumping is one of the toughest sports in world, with millimetres and milliseconds the difference between winning and not even earning a ribbon. It was Swedish up and coming super star Angelica Augustsson that showed it certainly can be inspirational, with the 24 year old talent thrilling her home crowd to win the 12 round of the FEI World Cup Showjumping series in Gothenburg, Sweden on the weekend.
Augustsson riding the 11 year old Cruising mare Midtown du Tillard, was third to go in the jump off and stopped the clock with all fences in tact at 33.69 seconds.
No one else, including German veteran and super star Ludger Beerbaum could catch them.
Augustsson was emotional after her victory in front of her home crowd:
This is my first 5-star show, my first World Cup, my second time to ride Midtown over a 1.60m track and my second time to ask her to gallop against the clock – I don’t know what to say!
1.Midtown du Tillard (Angelica Augustsson) SWE 0/0 33.69;
2. Ciske van Overis (Edwina Alexander) AUS 0/0 34.08;
3. Gotha (Ludger Berbaum) GER 0/0 34.72;
4. Kepi de Valse (Hansueli Sprunger) SUI 0/0 35.93;
5. Carlina (Pius Schwizer) SUI 0/4 34.97;
6. Abbervail van het Dingeshof (Denis Lynch) IRL 0/4 35.00;
7. Jarnac (Julio Arias) ESP 0/4 36.05;
8. Talina (Douglas Lindelow) SWE 0/4 37.98;
9. BMC Van Grunsven Simon (Jeroen Dubbeldam) NED 0/8 34.42;
10. Winningmood (Luciana Diniz) POR 0/8 36.46;
11. Cornet Obolensky (Marco Kutscher) GER 0/10 47.28;
12. H&M Arctic Aurora Borealis (Peder Fredricson) SWE 0/Elim.